Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Providence

I have been to and from Providence twice in the past 4 days. I enjoyed myself a lot both times. Sewn Leather and DJ Dog Dick performed at a (very well hidden and beautiful) artist loft in the Olneyville area of Providence. After driving through a parking lot of old carnival rides and poorly maintained carnival equipment, we walked into what looked like an abandoned mill building (i.e. Lowell, MA or Manchester, NH) to find Boystown 2. The temperature inside was close to exact in relation to the temperature outside. The set up was unlike anything I'd ever seen before, and it was cool to see that these types of places are able to exist. If anyone has the opportunity to see Sewn Leather perform, I very highly recommend checking it out. If I had to describe it: hardcore influenced synth punk.

My life is oozing with opportunity right now in all aspects and I have never felt so limitless. I'm eager to explore my options all at once, but have learned to deal with things in a more patient manner. For so long, I spent time on making hopeless situations more positive, rather than embracing things actually worth my time and energy. I'm currently at a healthy understanding of myself and at the cost of things that I once considered important.

Fifteen songs on repeat, in this order:
The Decemberist's Valerie Plame
Elvis Perkins in Dearland's Shampoo
Belle and Sebastian's Sleep Around the Clock
Grandaddy's Now It's On
Themselves' Them's My People
Robert Francis' One by One
Say Anything's Woe
Stephen Malkmus' Baltimore
Cause for Alarm's In Search Of
Lou Reed's Satellite of Love
El-P's Smithereens
Blitzen Trapper's Furr
The Shins' We Will Become Silhouettes
Midlake's Roscoe
Jay-Z's Blue Magic