Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Swing of Things

I never really planned on taking a break from poker. It's just that I have been super busy.

Warning: The following words may not make sense to you. Or they might have meaning to you, but may not make sense in the context below. I will do my best to describe in a concise manner, making it comprehensible for those who are unfamiliar with poker.

I play poker for a living, as most of you know by now. My goal is to make money. However, my success is not measured in $ (American dollars). I measure in terms of big bets, which will now be referred to as BBs.

In the specific games that I play, a BB is either $16 or $20. For example:

Sang: Hey Rich, I was admiring your raw and intuitive skill to take money from people on the internet. How much money did you end up making this session?

Me: I lost 30 BBs to this spewtard.


I was playing 8/16. A BB is 2 big blinds. The big blind is 8. 8 x 2 = 16. 16 x 30 = 480. I lost $480. My win rate is 5 BBs for every 100 hands I play.

In the specific poker game that I play (Heads Up Limit Holdem), it is theoretically probable to have a 500 BB downswing, while playing on your A+ game at all points throughout. 500BB x $16 = $8,000. There are definitely kinks in my game to work on as well as some rust that I need to shake off. However, I have convinced myself that I am in the midst of a downswing.

With that being said, I could do two things about this:

1. I could take my new car down to Florida and build a house making virtually no money, but likely enjoy myself with a couple friends. I have a few friends down there that I could visit, as well. I'd have to leave my family and friends for a while (in a time when I am needed). Lots of birthdays, an important court date, sick relatives, etc.

2. I could battle through this temporary mental block that I have developed with poker. I should be thankful for what I am capable of. Certainly shouldn't be complaining about it.