Thursday, December 11, 2008

Middle East

Greetings from the Middle East.

My good friend Darrick Lucas is down from his estate in the White Mountains and we've been playing a good amount of poker. I had my worst day of poker in a long time, but I feel like I was due for a sick swing. After I lost about 100 big bets ($1k) I decided to call it a day, and fired up "You Don't Mess With the Zohan." I was pleasantly surprised.

This time last year, I would let my emotions take control of me, and would play through a downswing and make things worse. When I let my emotions cloud my mental clarity and dull my edge on the game, bad things happen. It seems so basic, but it took so long for me to understand this.

Last night, I made plans with Caitlin to go see The Ting Ting's at this bar over by Fenway. We left my warm and cozy house to battle through rain, pay for parking, walk in the rain, and decide to turn around last second. She only had a paper license, and we weren't cool with standing in the rain to get in. After 40+ minutes of looking for the car in a maze of a parking garage, we went back to my place, where Darrick and June were chillaxifying. Good times. After listening to a Montell Jordan song or two, we drove over to Razzy's for karaoke night.

I love everything about Razzy's. The bartenders are really sweet, and the enviornment is really relaxing. I remember June saying that it reminds her of a cabin. Pretty accurate, vague description of Razzy's. Darrick sang a song that I was familiar with, but everyone seemed to enjoy it. John sang a song and got pissy about being limited to only one song. That's the way the cookie crumbles.

As a side note, I was complemented on my hoodie that I was wearing while trying to grab a drink. At this point I was impaired and went on about how my mother bought it for me and how sweet she is. Made a fool of myself, etc.

A bunch of wacked out shit happened afterward that I'm still trying to piece together. Incredibly fun night.

Getting a tattoo when time permits. The word balance and perseverance spelled in Gaelic horizontally down my arm. I love it, and can't wait to get it done finally.

Godspeed.