Thursday, June 4, 2009

Explosive West Coast Shit!

My pre-moving anxiety has finally subsided, and I'm really glad that I love it out here. Looking back on it, the idea of moving to a city that I had never been to is absurd. As it turns out, luck is on my side (pun intended), for sure. There is not one thing that I dislike about this city. Not one thing. The people out here (for the most part) are a complete 180 in relation to New England residents. People are friendly and helpful.

My first interaction with someone other than a familiar person was this: As I walked down the main street of the Haight area (a fun part of town), a man walked up to me as I was checking out a coffee shop. He said, "Boston, huh? Fuck you." referring to my hat. I wasn't sure how to respond, and in that time that I took to figure out a fitting response he said, "Hahaha I'm fucking with you. What's up man?" I have since come across some similar interactions, but not to that same degree.

Last night, I voyaged out to a few bars with Danni and her friend Kristina. We walked around the Mission area of town and were patrons of a bar called Zeitgeist and The Elbow Room. Zeitgeist was a pretty sweet bar, for the most part. The bartender on that particular night was silly. She would overwhelm herself with orders and forget the majority of them while making drinks, thus creating more work for herself. In the two experiences I had with her, she broke a glass and yelled at a customer. She got 50% of what I normally tip bartenders.

The Elbow Room registers as one of the worst bars I have ever been to. As a self proclaimed drink-slightly-too-much-er-but-not-quite-an-alocholic, this is a lousy category to be placed into. The drinks sucked. The bartender was a dick. The environment was tacky. They could be giving out hundred dollar bills at the door, and I still wouldn't go back.

Speaking of hundred dollar bills, I plan to end my month long hiatus from poker within the next day or two. After giving a lesson today, I feel that my conscious is finally clear enough to get back to the grind. My roommates are unfamiliar with the idea of "gambling" for a living and that was expected. I have an article pending approval from BLUFF magazine, and I intend to use that to corroborate my means of income to them. Not too-too worried about it, but it'd be nice for them to understand my method of thought regarding poker, and convince them that I don't flip a coin for a living.

As of right now, I'm going to attempt to make my bedroom a comfortable and livable one. Knick knacks, posters, and comfy looking things are to be acquired in the trip from this coffee/beer shop (Maxwell's) to my apartment.

To anyone that reads this blog: If any of you suddenly get the desire to come out to San Fran to chill or whatever, I am completely down with letting you stay at my place for a few days. I'm serious. Do it, especially if you've never been out here. Chances are that you'll love it!