Monday, June 1, 2009

All Systems Go

"This is the same ocean where blue whales dive.
This is the same ocean that fell on white mountains.
This is the same ocean as tomorrow's good coffee."


I've been keeping it pretty lax and low-key in the days leading up to my departure. Some pretty solid time was spent up in Salem, MA last night. A good friend of mine invited me to drink some beers and listen to some records. That we did. I recall listening to Mount Eerie, Jib Kidder, theUSAISAMONSTER, and Black Elf Speaks.

While drinking a fair amount of intensely potent beer, I found myself knee deep into a passionate conversation/argument regarding astrology and horoscopes. I, of course arguing in the favor of the rational man, picked up on some fairly interesting points on the opposite side of the debate. For me, when it's dissected completely, the mystery and aura surrounding it becomes coincidence and patternless. Anyone that bases serious decisions on alignment of the stars is lazy. And gullible. Probably even dumb. I digress.

The entity defending the opposite side of the spectrum was a woman named Elizabeth. It got to a point where we were arguing for the sake of arguing, which was enjoyable. I found her to be really interesting for that reason, among many others. From what I gather, she's a touring musician originally from northern California, now residing in Berlin. She shared a story about her idea to move to a country where she doesn't know a single person or the language. Without any money, she found under-the-table employment as a dish washer as she spent time writing music. I found it to be overly inspiring and "gutsy" to pull that off. After explaining my situation (which is a watered down version of her story... moving to an area where I know one person AND the language,) she said that I'm going to really enjoy my time out there. Given her past experiences, the comment felt really comforting. You can check out her music here. Good stuff.