Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Proof

My social life is a lively one, and I am happy about that. Shortly before leaving Boston, a lingering feeling of worry lurked about my brain. After having been a part of what I once thought was an intricate and healthy social web, leaving that forced a sudden feeling of anxiety onto me. Granted, my bonds with specific people have faded with time and I identify that as natural and sometimes irreversible, I still feel close with the true friends I have had, mainly because of our significant and beautiful memories that bind us together forever. Without those, we are an empty slate. Viewing this period of my life as an empty slate is dismissive of my past and I resent that I'm capable of doing things like this.

I have recently been turned onto The Rumpus by two friends. I could explain what they offer, but it'd be good for you to check it out. From what I understand, it is run by an author named Stephen Elliott and he happens to be a prominent figure in the bustling art community here in San Francisco. I have yet to read any of his work, but plan to after I finish with Kurt Vonnegut's Welcome To The Monkey House.

The Rumpus organizes an event called The Monthly Rumpus at a bar called The Makeout Room in the Mission area of town. The show exhibits artists not limited to fiction writers, musicians, poets, actors, actresses, etc. After hearing about this event in a sarcastic, chore-like tone, I wasn't too excited to check it out. The entire show was stunning, and I'm still talking with my friends back home about it.

I have an unhealthy crush on Thao Nguyen. Check her out.

Right now, I'm meeting up with new friends at a Salvadorean restaurant in the Mission. When I return, I plan to give a detailed report on The Monthly Rumpus. Checking out the website in the meantime is strongly encouraged.

Cheers.