Monday, May 25, 2009

OTL

Last night, I visited a studio called Outside the Lines for a show. This studio embraces and adheres to the needs of the mentally disabled. All of the artwork created is for sale, with 85% of the profits going to the artist. There was a fantastic gallery, among many carts with greeting cards, t-shirts, bracelets and prints. There was an original piece that I wanted to buy for $50, but it was already sold.

I went with two friends to check out a band called Child Abuse. They are tough to define as grindcore, but they are a 3 piece with keyboards, drums, and bass. The vocals were perfect for what they were doing, and the bassist held their infusion of noise together and in synch, keeping it from complete unstructured blasts of sound. Very enjoyable set, and I may even head to see them again today.

The closing band, Black Elf Speaks, is a project of theUSAISAMONSTER's drummer. They have a distinctly unique pop sound, with a wildly intense stage presence. Being a 7 member band dressed as elves, the sounds they make are unexpected and catchy. The band uses Native American folklore to create and explore untraveled lyrical worlds. Needless to say, I bought their newest album that they self released.

Also, I'm super excited to report that I finally have solved the puzzle of opening a beer bottle with a lighter.

Also, I am sporting a mustache and loving it.